How To Pick The Right Door For Your Home
Inspiration is welcome!
Few exterior elements of your home offer up more potential to personalize, style and make a statement than a door. Often the first impression others have of your home, a door presents an exciting palette to express your personal style. This collection of suggestions and tips will help you find the perfect door for your home.
When do you need a new door?
There are a few tell-tale signs that your current door is past its prime. Space around the bottom and side, difficulty closing, trouble locking, drafts and even just plain unsightliness are all reasons to start looking for a new entryway.
What should my new door be made of?
There are two primary materials for residential doors: Steel and fibreglass. Steel doors offer enhanced security and weather resistance, but can be more prone to denting. Fibreglass is an energy-efficient and endlessly customizable option that can be styled in a wide range of colours and textures. Your door’s chosen material will also have an impact on the overall cost.
How can I personalize my door?
There are a truly unlimited number of possibilities when it comes to your door’s look and price. From size, colour, texture, lites and transoms, your door can easily become the centrepiece of your home. Below is a quick overview of common customization options:
- Colour – Explore the colour-spectrum with an attention-grabbing statement shade or complement your home’s existing palette with subdued elegance. Fibreglass doors can be pre-painted or stained with automotive quality finishes for stunning curb-appeal and long-lasting durability
- Texture – Fibreglass doors can mimic the look of their traditional wood counterparts without the cost or maintenance. Common finishes include oak, mahogany and fir.
- Lites – Lites are the glass panels inserted into, or beside, a door. Lites are notable for letting in natural light without compromising efficiency or privacy. Door lites are placed into the door itself while sidelites are placed directly beside the door frame. There are a wide range of lite styles, shapes and sizes to suit any homeowner!
- Transom – A transom is a small glass window that sits above a door. Similar to a lite, it lets in natural light but offers even more privacy and security due to its elevated position relative to the door.
- Choosing the right door is easy with a little know-how and great service. An All Weather Windows Renovations Sales Representative will guide you through every step of the experience, from design through to installation, to make your door renovation as worry-free as possible. Book a free in-home consultation today to take the first step in this exciting new addition to your home.