Egress Requirements as per National Building Code 2010:
Egress Windows or Doors for Bedrooms
- Except where the suite is sprinklered, each bedroom or combination bedroom shall have at least one outside window or exterior door openable from the inside without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge and without the removal of sashes or hardware.
- The window referred to in Sentence (1) shall a) provide an unobstructed opening of not less than 0.35 m² in area with no dimension less than 380mm, and b) maintain the required opening during an emergency without the need for additional support.
- Where a window required in Sentence (1) opens into a window well, a clearance of not less than 760 mm shall be provided in front of the window.
- Where the sash of a window referred to in Sentence (3) swings towards the window well, the operation of the sash shall not reduce the clearance in a manner that would restrict escape in an emergency.
- Where a protective enclosure is installed over the window well referred to in Sentence (3), the enclosure shall be openable from the inside without the use of keys, tools or special knowledge of the opening mechanism.
Although the minimum opening dimensions required for height and width are 380 mm, a window opening that is 380 mm by 380 mm would not comply with the minimum area requirements.